Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Barbie Party: Invitations

Granted, I have a little leg up on the rest of the world when it comes to making invitations. I have no fear of my printer and I can whip up something on the "fly". But, when it came to our Barbie party, I wanted to use the materials I had in my drawer. There are some licensed Barbie invites out there, if you want to buy one.
I had the idea to make a "closet" for our invite, since it was a fashion show theme.

I scored and folded card stock for the folder (closet). I made some Barbie silhouette stickers by printing these on sticker back paper and punching out with a scalloped scrapbook punch.

I had a box of transparency film, from who knows how long ago. Its been a while since I've used a projector! So I decided to give it a try. It seemed shiny and plastic, like our inspiration. I printed the invitations on letter sized transparency film and cut them down to fit the folder.

Next, I sealed them with the Barbie stickers I punched out.
Then I addressed the front of the the folder and slid the pair into a 6x9 cellophane bag I already had.
(You can mail things in cellophane bags. The sticker stamps attach easily.)
I wanted to buy envelopes, but I couldn't rationalize spending $10 on shipping for $6 worth of envelopes. But if I had, I would have bought these: Jam Paper. I could also easily make these into self-mailers, and attach a clear round sticker to both edges to keep the inside from falling out.
Here are the files to make your own Barbie Sel-Mailer invitation at home:
Print this at home. On a letter-size piece of card stock.
Follow these steps:
1. Print the above image out on cardstock, as many invitations as you need plus some extras for mistakes.
2. Open Microsoft Word and make a new document, in landscape orientation with a left margin of 3.25 and a right margin of 3.5. Type up the invitation wording and try to rag it around the Barbie arm/purse.
3. Print out the word document on plain paper. Line in on top of the card stock you printed of the Barbie, hold it over a lamp and see which words need to be pushed down a line. Repeat this process until you have all the wording falling around the Barbie correctly.
4. Load the card stock into the printer, for the word document to be printed on top of the Barbie you've already printed. You may print it wrong a few times before you figure out how to load your tray. Print the invitation wording.
5. After printing, fold the left side of the paper at 3" and right side at 3.25". This gives you a cute self-mailer for your invitation. 
6. You can seal this with a clear sticker tab (Available from Staples, by Avery.)
You can print 1" white circle stickers, see attached or you can use sticker back paper and a decorative hole punch like I did with the attached file.
These are 4x6,  Avery 5410 1" Round Multi-Use Labels
This will print on letter-sized sticker back paper. Then use scalloped hole punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment